Call to Action:
- For You: Check your current stocks for the presence of net operating losses that can offset future taxes and read about Myrexis and Affymax to gain a better understanding of some of the extremes you may find in the market.
- Support the Podcast: The best support you can give me right now is to follow me on Twitter: @TreyHenninger
Mental Models discussed in this podcast:
- Tax Avoidance
Please review and rate the podcast
If you enjoyed this podcast and found it helpful, please consider leaving me a rating and review. Your feedback helps me to improve the podcast and grow the show’s audience.
Follow me on Twitter and YouTube
Twitter Handle: @TreyHenninger
YouTube Channel: DIY Investing
Support the Podcast on Patreon
This is a podcast supported by listeners like you. If you’d like to support this podcast and help me to continue creating great investing content, please consider becoming a Patron at DIYInvesting.org/Patron.
You can find out more information by listening to episode 11 of this podcast.
The full show notes for this episode are available at https://www.diyinvesting.org/Episode66
Net Operating Losses are a form of Hidden Asset
- NOLs are past losses by the company that offset future taxes
- They are only valuable if you have the ability to earn a profit in the future
- Elementary Value recently highlighted two companies that are an interesting avenue for future research.
When researching a company be on the lookout for hidden assets. Net Operating Losses are one form of hidden asset that can either be found on the balance sheet or in the notes to the financial statements about a company. The ability of a company to not pay any taxes for 10-15 years into the future can be extremely valuable in the right situation.