Mental Models discussed in this podcast:
- Margin of Safety
Please review and rate the podcast
If you enjoyed this podcast and found it helpful, please consider leaving me a rating and review. Your feedback helps me to improve the podcast and grow the show’s audience.
Follow me on Twitter and YouTube
Twitter Handle: @TreyHenninger
YouTube Channel: DIY Investing
Support the Podcast on Patreon
This is a podcast supported by listeners like you. If you’d like to support this podcast and help me to continue creating great investing content, please consider becoming a Patron at DIYInvesting.org/Patron.
Definition of an Investment
An investment meets all 5 conditions:
- Utilizes a Margin of Safety
- Provides an Adequate Return (>10% for me)
- The 10% hurdle is met solely on a fundamental cash flow basis
- Is a Positive-Sum Game
- Bounded by a specific range of prices and terms
Any investment operation that fails to meet all five conditions is either speculation or gambling.
Gambling is both a negative-sum game or an operation with a negative expected value.
- Based on this Twitter Thread I made:
- Which was a rebuttal of this thread by @10kdiver:
- Previous Podcast Episodes cited:
- Episode 30 – GameStop Post-Mortem
- Episode 95 – How to build conviction (FAQ)
- Good source of discussion on Margin of Safety
- Episode 23 – What’s a good discount rate?
- Episode 31 – Buying Stocks is not a zero-sum game
- Episode 32 – Shorting Stocks is a negative-sum game